I’ve recently been going through statistics from my site visitors, and have received a few comments from users regarding browsers and being able to see different sites in different ways, and it made me think about browser upgrades and why you should do it.
I know it can be a pain in the butt to upgrade, but there is actually a whole slew of reasons why you should.
Upgrade your browser because:
- Pages display the way designers intend them to display
- Security is improved
- Style sheet support is improved
- You get more reliable support of dynamic behaviors in Web pages (like pull-down menus)
- You secure your browser against vulnerabilities (ie. code that can take information from your computer or that will compromise your computer and perhaps give it a virus)
If your operating system or computer will not support the latest version of Internet Explorer, it might be time to consider a switch so that you can have the best and safest experience possible. There are a number of alternatives, which have been written about extensively. Consider looking at some of the links below for other opinions…
- Browse Happy
- In Favour of Firefox:
- In Favour of IE :
??? Couldn’t find any – what does this say? If you find something, please leave a remark in the comments!!
- In Favour of Others:
- Which Browser? (a more balanced discussion thread which has consideration for those not running the latest operating system – see below)
- Browser Comparison (Based on the IE7 Beta version but you can get an idea of the features side-by-side) **
If you are not sure which browser you are using, click on the link below to find out.
One of the links I have provided above has the following advice:
If you are still using Windows 98, for security reasons I would strongly recommend:
- Don’t use IE (You can’t go higher than 6)
- Do get a different browser (I would go with Firefox)
- Get malware removal protection from the programs listed above, double-check to make sure they will work in 98
** Must reads if you don’t have time to go through everything
So bottom line is that you should upgrade your browser, or if you can’t then consider switching – you are probably not seeing the internet at it’s best and you may be vulnerable to spyware and virus attacks. Check out more information at the links below.
Comment posted by chewy
at 9/7/2007 8:08:34 AM
You are absolutely correct about updating one’s browser.
I used Explorer until Microsoft stopped making updates for MACs. Safari, on MACs, was not friendly to all sites. Mozilla Firefox works great, well… for now.
Comment posted by ozlady
at 9/10/2007 9:18:54 PM
Chewy – yes sometimes it’s a fickle world when it comes to browser updates, but I’d rather spend the hour trying to download and try a couple of different types rather than have a sub-standard experience.
Thanks for dropping by!